100 things to do in 1000 days; #47/50, 51: Watch the Alien Quadrilogy.
My continuing education of the world of sci-fi movie geekery continues to continue. There’s not a heck of a lot I have to say about this series. I have now seen it. I consider it seen. New knowledge of pop culture references achieved. Sigourney Weaver gets prettier with age and her name is impossible to spell.
clearly equals this:
But in the interests of completion, here are some more half-assed reviews™:
- Slow beginning, effective middle and end
- *nods* Yes. Yes, I liked that.
- I enjoyed it more than the first (it was more entertaining/didn’t take so long to get going, and I liked more of the characters – Bishop!), but I don’t think it was as good a movie.
- I hate what it did to Ripley’s character. She went from a smart, sane, and kick-ass woman to a damsel in distress whose only saving grace was her brand new maternal instinct. And as much as I enjoyed them, I didn’t see the need to add in a forced love interest and family dynamic.
- Funny how she never mentioned any interest in getting home for her daughter in the first film.
- Overall, I’m not sure which ship had the dumber crew. But in this case, Hudson couldn’t die fast enough, Jesus Christ.
- Well, that took forever to get going and felt utterly pointless.
- But hey, Pete Postlethwaite!
- I suppose there were ways that could have been worse.
- Evil!Ripley was pretty cool. Completely pointless otherwise, but I needed SOMETHING to enjoy.
- You know what the Alien series needs? More stupid people! Even STUPIDER people!
- Whiniest. Robot. Ever. With constant lower lip malfunction!
Ranking: The order of release. They should have stopped at two.